RESILIENT SCHOOLS INITIATIVE
Did you know that 60% of adults report that they had been exposed to 1 or more Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACE’s)? (JAMA, September 2018)
Dubbed the “unaddressed non-infectious public health emergency of our lifetime,” Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACEs) have significant and lasting mental, physical, and emotional impacts, and are associated with school failure, clinically diagnosed diseases, and challenges throughout adulthood.
Fortunately, research indicates that ACEs can be mitigated through strengthening Executive Function (EF) processes, building Social and Emotional Learning (SEL) competencies and using restorative and trauma-informed practices.
More recently, the coronavirus pandemic has placed limitations on economic activity, closed schools, reduced access to health care and imposed physical distancing. These factors increase the likelihood of children and adolescents becoming vulnerable and being exposed to violence (UNICEF, 2020).
Did you know that executive function weaknesses in early childhood are associated with low academic performance? (Early Childhood Study, 2018) and that executive functions lessen the negative impact of ACEs?
The RSI is a reFLEXions® intervention that arose out of the needs that have been evident in our community for decades. Our tailor-made interventions, based on targeted needs assessments, build Flexible Mindsets that equip learners with the tools they need to respond resiliently and adaptively to adversity and uncertainty. The intended RSI outcomes are:
- Students will gain increased metacognitive awareness and EF competencies.
- Teachers will have an increased understanding of the physical, emotional, and cognitive effects of Positive and Adverse Childhood Experiences (PACEs).
- Teachers and other school leaders will experience greater awareness of their own painful experiences and the effect they have on the work they do with children.
- The predominant mindset will move away from fixed mentalities to Flexible Mindsets that promote adaptability and resilience.
Through RSI, a school, community or district can customize their experiences by selecting select from our services, including:
- An extensive needs assessment
- Foundational training in core competencies
- Ongoing coaching and mentoring
- Programme evaluation through continuous assessment and post-intervention data collection
- An invitation to teachers and school leaders to join a professional learning and coaching community
- Outcomes and recommendations presented in a clear and understandable manner
- The Deepest Well – Nadine Burke Harris, MD
- The Body Keeps the Score – Bessel Van Der Kolk, MD
- What Happened to you? Conversations on Trauma, Healing & Resilience – Bruce Perry, MD, PhD & Oprah Winfrey
- My Grandmother’s Hands: Racialized Trauma and the Pathway to Mending Our hearts and Bodies – Resmaa Menakem
- Tata and the Big Bad Bull – Juleus Ghunta
- Rohan Bullkin and the Shadows: A story about ACEs and Hope – Juleus Ghunta
- The Adventures of the Pirates of Pondering – Dr Julie Dunstan