Flexible Mindsets in Schools:
CHANNELLING BRAIN POWER FOR CRITICAL THINKING, COMPLEX PROBLEM-SOLVING AND CREATIVITY
Flexible Mindsets in Schools abandons painstaking evolution in favour of a bold, transformative revolution. It blends research and easily implementable practices to drive solutions that give learners and educators the freedom to become self-directed: to unleash questioning, problem-solving and creativity.
This key text explores how to blend existing and new practices and unlock the potential of student agency as the pathway towards resilience and adaptation. The Flexible Mindsets Modelfuses three components that rely on each other to drive self-directed learning: metacognition, “I CAN” mindset messages and executive function processes. This book presents a roadmap for how to create an environment and culture where learners are aware of what works when, feel safe to take learning-related risks, believe that they are capable and have the tools they need to learn.
Flexible Mindsets in Schools will give educators hope that there is a way to revolutionize education to meet the needs of students during these uncertain times by taking small, manageable steps.
- Case Examples that illustrate Flexible Mindsets in action that teachers can instantly recoginize
- Figures and Tables that provide clear visuals to illustrate key conepts and practices that characterize Flexible Mindsets
- The infusion of the science of learning and how the brain responds to factors such as stress, questions and curiosity
- Grounded in a place where there is empathy for all teachers and students
tools included in the book:
- Spiral of Reflective Learning – an ongoing process that educators can use to raise self-awareness and change their mindsets alongside those of their students
- Self-Assessment Questionnaires that help students to identify their strengths and challenges
- Practical strategies for direct instruction in building Critical Thinking, Complex Problem-solving and Creativity
- Checklists to track your progress in applying Flexible Mindsets in your classroom